Saturday, January 6, 2024

Songs Of Proof: The Class Of 2023

 It's hard to type up a blog post on a phone, so bear with me until I have the time to purchase a new laptop.  But, I'm watching the ABC broadcast as I text this up.  So, I'll have ceremony thoughts while sharing my choices and thought process.  


Kate Bush:  It may seem like sacrilege to not use "Running Up That Hill" for her Song Of Proof, but stranger things have happened, thus marking the last mileage I intend to milk out of that joke.  Big Boi gave an enthralling speech, even when giving the prompter people flak for falling down on the job.  The performance of St. Vincent was beautiful, but I felt it was important to use another song, lest anyone think of Kate Bush as a one-trick pony.  And having few pop hits gave me a little more latitude.  But I didn't abandon the charts either.  A great middle ground and truly one of my favorite songs by this amazing artist, "Love And Anger" is a top shelf song that showcases Bush's signature avant-garde theatricality and intertwines it with a solid enough beat for those who would dare wonder what Kate Bush has to do with rock and roll anyway.  Plus, it was a number one hit on the Album (or Mainstream) Rock charts when it came out.  Underrated song that needs more attention, and I think it does justice on an objective level too.


Don Cornelius:  The segue from the Spinners tribute to this induction was clever, and the video package really was amazing for this man.  It's just sad that it's another example that the Hall is more of a rogues' gallery than an upright citizens parade (malaprop intentional).  But not inducting him would have been wrong too.  What "Soul Train" did for the African-American community is too significant to not enshrine him, especially since he had to be the one to get Dick Clark to back down with his copycat competitor program.  He went toe to toe with Dick Clark, whom you did not pick a professional fight with in those days, and emerged victorious, to elevate the Black community.  No, he needed to be inducted, warts and all.  And just as "Bandstand Boogie" represents Clark, the only choice for Don Cornelius is the MFSB (featuring the Three Degrees) classic, "TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia)," which was the theme song, minus the singing of the name of "Soul Train."


Sheryl Crow: Her segment is really condensed and rushed.  But that's to be expected, condensing a 4.5 hour event down to under 3 hours to allow for commercials.  Anyway, Sheryl's music to me kind of has an alternative beach bum feel to it.  The kind of music someone on the beach plays who has nowhere else to be, but isn't the standard type of music you'd expect from such a character.  And that's not meant in a derogatory manner either. That's just the mental image I get of her music.  To that end, I wanted "A Change Would Do You Good," but it wasn't a Hot 100 hit.  Since her commercial success had a lot to do with her case, I felt it needed to be one.  "Soak Up The Sun" is a favorite but is a little too atypical.  "If It Makes You Happy," I'll admit I thought was an Alanis Morissette song when I first heard it, so no.  The final song standing is "Everyday Is A Winding Road," narrowly edging out "All I Wanna Do."  With a little bit of a road trip feel to its pacing and arrangement, it works the best for that "enjoying life" vibe that I feel is most signature of her music.  And hey, Frampton shredded wickedly while onstage with Sheryl and Stevie.  


DJ Kool Herc:  This was a tough one.  First, a quick side note, if someone is to be inducted as a "Musical Influence", in what is a renaming of the "Early Influence" category, then one should arguably have a catalog to go with it.  I personally would have gone with Award For Musical Excellence for him; I mean, they inducted engineers in that category, so why not Herc there?  I digress, and it seems that if you're not a Performer inductee, then whichever category they stuff you in is irrelevant.  I think it's careless, haphazard, and slipshod, but you're also all sick of seeing me tilt at that windmill.  His acceptance speech seemed incoherent in parts, but I think we can chalk it up to being overcome with emotion.  But with no substantial catalog of his own, choosing the song  for him was tricky.  I seriously thought about going with the James Brown song that they mentioned as being one of the songs that he kept using the break of that pioneered hip-hop.  However, since hip-hop originally started as the milieu and elevation of the deejay, I chose a different direction.  The song chosen is a little off, but bear with me.  Even though the credited artist is absolutely making the song about him, the lyrics namecheck Kool Herc as one of the innovators, and if you just go by the title alone, it could also apply to DJ Kool Herc as well, and how hip-hop was originally about the deejay and not the emcee.  So, for those reasons, the song used is "Girls Love The Way He Spins" by Grandmaster Flash.


Missy Elliott:  This was a great induction.  Queen Latifah gave a great speech, and the video package was on point.  It also makes it seem an induction for Timbaland is inevitable.  Missy's speech was wonderful, and her performance was the halftime show we need.  One of the things I heard said about her was that her sound still sounds current.  I'm not knowledgeable enough about hip-hop to weigh in on that, but it is a good listen at any time.  Thinking about how she wanted to head a label more than perform, I'm not sure if she didn't have confidence in her abilities or just wanted the label more to the point where she downplayed her abilities.  Either way, it just shows that brilliance can't and shouldn't be shrouded, and either way, her story shows that no matter how talented you are and how big the dream, to get it, you gotta "Work It."  Narrowly beating out "Get Ur Freak On," that will be the selection for her.  And if I'm in the wrong, hopefully it's no worse than a misdemeanor.


Chaka Khan:  I'm glad she's in, I'm sad it happened this way, because now there is no chance to have her be a double inductee.  But you can't be a double inductee if you can't even get in a first time.  Bird in the hand being worth two in the bush, and all that.  The song I'm using for her as an Award For Musical Excellence inductee is the same I'd have used if she'd been voted in.  "I'm Every Woman" is a powerful anthem and a party jam as well, and that's fitting because discovery of one's identity is worth celebrating.  It's a personal victory, and to quote "Avengers: Age Of Ultron:" victory should be honored with revels.  As far as her induction segment goes, H.E.R. absolutely killed it, as did Chaka.  Sia... thanks for trying, I guess.  And I have to give it up for Chaka acknowledging Tony and thus also the Hall's attempts to acknowledge Rufus as a band too.  Rock on Tony Maiden, sorry you got shafted by the voters.  Congratulations Chaka.  You are every woman in how you showed how hard it is for institutions to give women the laurels that are no-brainers to hand out.


Al Kooper:  The brass ring just always seemed to elude the man, but he had his hands in enough things to be significant.  I'm glad he got his due recognition and that ABC didn't excise his induction altogether for time's sake.  A hard one to choose a song for.  I almost went with a Lynyrd Skynyrd song; however, I felt he has been too much of a journeyman musician to not use a song he played on more notably.  Having played on "Blonde On Blonde," I decided that "I Want You" is the ideal choice.  The organ line is subtle to where you might miss it, but it really adds a lot to the song.  That really seems to symbolize Al Kooper's career as a whole, so this Bob Dylan song makes the final cut.


George Michael:  Andrew was a pure class act as the inductor, choosing to not even make a cheeky joke about how he's being excluded, only about how he was the cuter one, not George.  I loved his speech.  And he was the perfect person to accept the award in George's honor.  Much was said about Adam's reserved performance of "Faith," but not being a huge George Michael fan myself, I didn't care about how much sex the performance could have exuded.  That said, it was wooden, fir real, that son of a beech.  Sorry.  But literally standing still to a song with that danceable a beat is just bad showmanship.  Getting to the song, this was the toughest one to choose.  My rules about choosing a Song Of Proof disqualify all of his duets and Wham! classics.  "Amazing" is a fantastic song, but it's a little outside of his imperial reign as a megastar, so I felt it disingenuous to use that one.  And since even though I have readers, the Great Playlist is primarily a vanity project, I wanted it to be a song that doesn't make me bored by the second minute, which ruled out "One More Try," "Father Figure," and "Freedom ('90)."  Personal opinion, don't at me, he still deserved his induction.  It came down to two songs, and they both are highly sexual.  Opting to not deal with whether to use part one, part two, or parts one and two; I went with the simpler, anthropomorphic "Monkey."


Willie Nelson:  I actually streamed the livestream while I was delivering my route, and when I listened while delivering, I was initially really annoyed with Dave Matthews' speech.  He sounded rambling and clumsy.  Watching it with more focus on a sick day on Boxing Day, I appreciated his speech a lot more, especially the social commentary.  I really didn't like the weed jokes though.  It wasn't funny to say, "I don't know if you know this..." Everyone knows it, and some cynics claim that it was the weed and not the music that made Willie influential to rock musicians.  Fortunately, Dave's uncut speech did highlight some of Nelson's most important recordings, including the "Stardust" album.   Focusing on the music, I had my choice already, but the video package reinforced the decision.  Willie struggled trying to find fame via the traditional Nashville route.  He was doing well playing gigs, and really found himself and his style after relocating to Texas.  Being a good live act and all those open miles moving back to the Lone Star State, the obvious choice is the crossover hit, "On The Road Again."


Rage Against The Machine:  Honestly, put any song you want here for this band.  Even their cover of "Maggie's Farm" would fit.  I went for a song from the Rock charts, but even a non-charting song is just as appropriate.  The message of change and anger came through in every note and every song.  Ice T's speech was great.  Tom Morello's speech.... it would have been more meaningful in my opinion if he weren't an insider of the institution of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.  Nonetheless, what he said was worth saying.  It's reminiscent of what Bernie Sanders has been telling people when he's had to suspend his presidential campaigns, telling us we can't hang all our hopes on him, that it's our revolution, our torch and pitchfork to carry, and our fight to fight.  "Bulls On Parade" is the choice, but there's no bad call here.


The Spinners:  So overdue, so welcome, so horrendous that this last nomination only happened because Thom Bell died.  But finally the Spinners are in.  I weep that the Hall's rushing headlong to more modern acts because given how the Hall operates, it means we can just forget ever enshrining the Stylistics, Delfonics, Chi-Lites, Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes, and all the other amazing soul groups of the '70s.  So much fertile ground there.  This also makes the insult of having no inductor for the Spinners even more egregious.  They got left off the original poster, and they're the only Performer inductee from this class to not get an inductor.  The Hall was just determined to do them dirty, but at least they corrected course to include John Edwards.  And New Edition really captured the spirit in their tribute.  Anyway, I long decided that "I'll Be Around" would be their Song Of Proof, and that still stands.  It has the funky beat that really shows the hybrid style that we call "Motownphilly."  There were a few close competitors though.  But in the end, that song was still around as the most solid example.


Bernie Taupin:  I'm so glad they kept Bernie's cutting remarks aimed at Jann S. Wenner.  Highlight for sure.  Anyway, with the ceremony running long as it was, I was kind of upset that Elton John performed "Tiny Dancer," as that's one of the notoriously longer songs.  I don't hate the song, just a little sick of it.  So, no, not the choice here.  Counterintuitively, I'm going with "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting."  Even in what is such a meat and potatoes rocker of a song, the lyrics still have some incredible poetic value.  Descriptions that evoke sensory triggers, metaphors, and social commentary are all found in this song that seems basic in some ways.  But it's not.  It may not be his most highbrow song, but it still shows his brilliance.  


Link Wray:  A triumph of an induction to be sure.  It'd have been nice to induct him as a Performer, and also a mention of the Ray-Men,  but under the circumstances, a Musical Influence solo induction is empirically better than a Singles not-a-category-category non-induction-induction.  Even though the Song Of Proof is "Rumble" for obvious reasons, I really appreciate the job they did to put some spotlight on his other songs, particularly "Rawhide."  On a personal note, I really like "Copenhagen Boogie" and "Ace Of Spades" as well.  Jimmy Page did a terrific job with the tribute.  A musicians' musician, it's so great that Link Wray got inducted.  Let's keep dismantling that bogus consolation prize and get Chubby Checker, the Chantels, and the Shangri-Las in 2024. 


And soon the Nominating Committee will meet to draft up that ballot.  The timeline has shifted for eligibility, and we'll see how that shapes things.  Meanwhile, putting a cap on the Class Of 2023 with a recap:

Kate Bush: "Love And Anger"

Don Cornelius: "T.S.O.P. (The Sound Of Philadelphia)" by MFSB featuring the Three Degrees

Sheryl Crow: "Everyday Is A Winding Road"

DJ Kool Herc: "Girls Love The Way He Spins" by Grandmaster Flash

Missy Elliott: "Work It"

Chaka Khan: "I'm Every Woman"

Al Kooper: "I Want You" by Bob Dylan

George Michael: "Monkey"

Willie Nelson: "On The Road Again"

Rage Against The Machine: "Bulls On Parade"

The Spinners: "I'll Be Around" (Vocal Group Hall Of Fame Song Of Proof: "It's A Shame")

Bernie Taupin: "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" by Elton John

Link Wray: "Rumble" (with his Ray Men)


Thoughts? Comments?  Make your voice heard below.


No comments:

Post a Comment