Sunday, October 9, 2011

How do I like this year's nominees?

Previously, on Rock Hall Monitors, I attempted to be objective in my rankings of the nominees, the first time I ever attempted to rank the NomCom’s nominees list before..  So hopefully it wasn’t too big a disappointment.  Now, we throw all that away, and make it all about my personal preferences.  Feel free to list your personal rankings in the comments.  That’s what this is all about!  “Monitors” is plural for a reason!  Along with my personal taste rank, I’ll factor in the place they got last time on my merit list, and get an average score.  This is to determine the likelihood of whom I’d actually vote for.  As I said last time, I’m honest enough to know that whom I’d vote for would be a combination of merit and personal taste.  I’ll also factor in the merit analysis from my associate, GFW, who posted his pecking order of the nominees’ merit on the Future Rock Legends site, and we’ll get four averages to work with.  Let’s see where this takes us.  Onto my list of likes:

1. Guns N’ Roses:  I’m a child of the ‘80s.  I remember when “November Rain” came out.  I once knew all the lyrics to both versions of “Don’t Cry.”  I grew up with 80’s hair metal, and I still love it.  Combine them with ranking third last time from me and tied for fourth according to GFW.
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 2
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 2.5
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 3.5
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 2.67

2. The Spinners:  This is a group that actually took me some time to learn to like, but now that I have, I’m a huge fan.  “One Of A Kind (Love Affair)” is an underrated classic.  I’m not crazy about their latter day medleys, but it’s good soul music.  Throw in their 6 ranking from me and a lowly tied for twelfth from GFW.
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 4
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 7
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 9
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 5.33.

3. The Beastie Boys: I actually really love “Girls” as well as “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!).”  So many good songs.  With 4 from before, and tied for first by GFW we have…
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 3.5
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 2
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 2.5
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 2.67

4. Joan Jett And The Blackhearts:  Solid, pounding rock.  Just fun stuff that’s pretty straightforward.  But with 13 from before from me and GFW’s tie for tenth…
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 8.5
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 7
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 11.5
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 9.

5. The Cure:  As much as I hate deadpan vocal delivery, Robert Smith can sure sing, and the instrumentation is solid all the way.  At number 2 in merit from me and GFW tying them for first…
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 3.5
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 3
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 1.5
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 3.67

6. War: Cool funk.  Always puts you in a good mood, except I don’t care much for “Spill The Wine.”  11 from before from me, while GFW tied them for number 7.
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 8.5
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 6.5
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 9
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 8.

7. Donovan: Other than “Sunshine Superman”, I really enjoy his stuff.  Personal favorite is “Wear Your Love Like Heaven”, but “Catch The Wind” is a really good one too.  10 from me, tied for 12 from GFW.
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 8.5
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 9.5
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 11
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 9.67

8. Eric B. And Rakim: I was underwhelmed with their Paid In Full album, but Let The Rhythm Hit ‘Em was really good and shows better why they’re taken seriously.  7 from both me and GFW.
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 7.5
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 7.5
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 7
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 7.67

9. Freddie King: Excellent blues.  Both instrumental and vocal.  9 merit from me, and tied for 10 from GFW.
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 9
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 9.5
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 9.5
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 9.33

10. Laura Nyro: I was blown away when I first heard “I Never Meant To Hurt You.”  She not only mimicked Bachrach And David’s style perfectly, she did it better than them.  Gorgeous voice.  But 12 from me before and 15 from GFW…
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 11
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank. 12.5
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 13.5
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 12.33

11. Rufus With Chaka Khan:  It takes a few listens to really get into their stuff, except for “Tell Me Something Good”, which hit with me right away.  Coming in at 14 before from me and GFW…
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 12.5
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 12.5
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 14
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 13

12. Heart: The Swiffer commercials turned me off from “What About Love” altogether, and the majority of their power ballads don’t sit well, nor do “Barracuda”, “Crazy On You,” or “Magic Man.”  But “If Looks Could Kill” is a great song, and they’ve got a few others I like.  8 from before and GFW ranking them at 6, we see that:
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 10
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 9
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 7
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 8.67

13. The Small Faces/Faces: I had to really listen a few times before I could appreciate the Small Faces, but even now, I’m not a huge fan.  Faces had some good songs, but their kind of generic to me, too.  I ranked them at number 15, while GFW placed them cozily at 9.
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 14.
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 11
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 12
Average combing both merit scales and my personal taste rank: 12.33

14. Donna Summer:  I like “Heaven Knows”, “The Wanderer” and can tolerate “Hot Stuff.”  Don’t care much for the rest of her stuff, and I find “I Feel Love” and “Love To Love You Baby” to be ear-splittingly painful.  I ranked her at 5, GFW at 4.
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 9.5
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 9
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 4.5
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 7.67

15. The Red Hot Chili Peppers: I hate, hate, hate the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  The only song I like by them is “Catholic School Girls Rule.”  “Give It Away” sounds like it could have been in the Malibu’s Most Wanted soundtrack if it had less guitar.  Their R&B covers are decent, but unimaginative.  “Scar Tissue” ranks in my Five Least Favorite songs ever (not including anything by Ke$ha, who would fill up THAT top five alone), and together with “Under The Bridge”, it sums up their musical style in what I describe as “dying of thirst.”  I literally feel thirsty after listening to those songs.  Another artist like that is Ray LaMontagne.  Dust bowl arid.  I respect these artists, but I don’t like them.  But being number 1 before from me and GFW placing them at 3.
Average using my merit rank and personal preference rank: 8
Average using GFW’s merit rank and my personal preference rank: 9
Average of GFW and my merit ranks, minus personal taste: 2
Average of both merit ranks and my personal taste rank: 6.33

So the five with the highest average ranks using my merit and personal taste pecking orders::
Guns N’Roses
The Cure
The Spinners
The Beastie Boys
Eric B. And Rakim

The five with the highest average rankings using GFW’s merit list and my personal taste list:
The Beastie Boys
Guns N’ Roses
The Cure
War
tie between the Spinners and Joan Jett And The Blackhearts

The five with the highest average rankings of only the two merits lists:
The Cure
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Guns N’ Roses
The Beastie Boys
Donna Summer

The five with the highest average rankings incorporating all three lists:
Guns N’ Roses
The Beastie Boys
The Cure
The Spinners
The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Of the four lists of average ranks’ Top Fives, I like either the first or last one best.  I’d probably swap out Eric B. And Rakim/The Red Hot Chili Peppers for a female artist, just to make sure that the “Women Who Rock” exhibit wasn’t completely in vain (and I’d probably make it Donna Summer, as I listed her as the most deserving female), or take the third list and swap the Spinners in place of the Red Hot Chili Peppers (I’m not leaving Philly soul off the vote), but aside from that, I could probably live with that being my ballot cast: Guns N’ Roses, the Beastie Boys, the Cure, the Spinners, and Donna Summer.  If I only got a vote.

1 comment:

  1. I compiled 39 lists of acts people say should be in the Hall and consolidated it into a top 100 here: http://davesmusicdatabase.blogspot.com/2011/10/top-100-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame.html

    That same post links to two other posts on my music blog - where I weigh in on the nominees and rank them, similarly to this list, and another post where I pick the five non-nominated acts I consider most Hall-worthy.

    ReplyDelete