Thursday, September 7, 2017

Ballot 2018, the lack of predictions.

In an attempt to keep this short as possible, at this time, I am announcing that I will not be posting a prediction for the ballot for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame's Class of 2018.

This is based on my previous post, "An Open Letter To The Nominating Committee;" however, I feel I should point out that my decision to not post a prediction is in no way related to the amount and vehemence of dissent that the post received.  No, my decision was reached well before I posted the blog, before I pounded out a single word, while I was still putting my thoughts together.  I realized that I would not be able, in good conscience, to post a ballot prediction.

I could not bring myself to post a prediction that reflected my desire detailed in that entry.  As a member of the Future Rock Legends community, I perennially see members post actual ballot predictions that myopically believe the Nominating Committee's thinking will fall (almost) completely in line with their own, that the Committee's priorities and desires are identical to theirs.  I can bring myself to neither indulge my ego nor annoy my readers and the Rock Hall hobbyist community as a whole by actually postulating an official prediction that assumes the Nominating Committee agrees with me.

But I cannot post what might be deemed a "more realistic" ballot prediction either, replete with a few of the ubiquitous names among other predictions.  To do so would be to recant my position, feign insincerity, or preemptively concede defeat, and I cannot do any of those at this time.  I still strongly believe in the goal and mission my request is rooted in, especially in light of the events in Charlottesville, and the president's response afterwards.  Indeed, the events since posting my previous entry have only served to reinforce those convictions.  And in truth, I don't feel a ballot that honors my request is too unrealistic either.  Honestly, I believe the most tenuous part of all this is getting enough Nominating Committee members to even read my open letter to them.  Indeed, I tweeted directly to as many as I could find on Twitter to get them to read it, but whether or not they did, I may never know.  But if they did, I don't think it's completely beyond the realm of possibility that enough of them might at least strongly consider my plea.  So I cannot post a prediction that abandons the goal of my previous entry either, not even a "compromise" ballot that is mostly minorities, but with one or two White male acts, or one that is half and half (which is about what most ballots look like anyway these days).  You either believe in it, or you don't.

A third option is to post one of each.  Two predictions lists.  But I don't like hedging my bets like that.  Heck, I don't even like naming "backup predictions," based on the fluctuating number of nominees over the years.  And I don't like it when certain members of the FRL community post multiple ballot prediction lists every year either.  I certainly won't do that.

The last option is a protest ballot prediction.  For those who wonder what that is, visit here.  It is something that Charles Crossley, Jr. likes to do.  For me, it would mean my posting a ballot prediction in line with my demands, and strongly stating once again the necessity of my beliefs being shared by the powers-that-be at the Rock Hall, despite it being "unlikely."  Actually, that description rather does a disservice to how Charles Crossley, Jr. does it.  He does it so beautifully, that quite frankly, I feel that imitation would be insult instead of flattery.  So I refuse to do that to him.

So, for this year, I am going to sit out on predicting the ballot.  Once the nominees are announced, I will return to reflect on the choices, evaluate the nominees based on merits and personal taste, and to actually predict who the inductees will be.  At that time, we will know whether my endeavors yielded any fruit, and I can pick up from there.

But for right now, I abstain.  It's a corner I knew I'd be painting myself into before I cracked the lid off the first can.  I did it anyway, and I have no regrets.

I thank you all for your understanding of my decision.

2 comments:

  1. I admire your conviction, and look forward to your thoughts on the actual ballot when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete