Sunday, April 30, 2023

Predictions For 2023

 As I previously said, I don't have the spare time for the full treatment that I normally put into my predictions.  I'll still list them by seeds, but I'll just cut to what is usually just the "In The End" part.  No percentages either.  I'll just say I think that there will be six.  I just can't see the Hall inducting half the ballot, even though they've inducted 55% when they had nine nominees.  I think six will be the limit.  My seeds:


1. Willie Nelson He's a national treasure and the voters as a body won't pass up the chance.  

2. Sheryl Crow The Hall can be very LinkedIn-like sometimes, and I have to believe the connections are too many for her to miss.

3. Missy Elliott In recent years, the Hall has been on the ball about getting the titans of hip-hop inducted immediately, and I expect that to continue.

4. Warren Zevon I originally had him sitting on the outside, but those handling his affairs tweeted about the inductees being announced Wednesday, so I have to imagine they got the phone call.

5. George Michael I don't get it personally. His music is alright, but it doesn't move me. But I'm clearly in the minority.

6. Kate Bush If any of my predicted inductees were to be inducted in one of the other categories, it's her.  The astonishment of the "Stranger Things" rennaissance may have lost its luster, but the Hall will still want her in. And if not now, when?  So, I think she's getting in one way or another, but I'm betting she'll just have the votes this time.

7. The White Stripes The upset special.  May sneak in, especially if there is a seventh, but may just end up being the Radiohead this time, as in, "How the hell did they miss the first time around?".

8. Iron Maiden The other nominee that could get the Musical Excellence laurels, especially if Kate Bush does get the votes.  Just still not seeing them make it.

9. The Spinners Their nomination wasn't so much about them, in a way, as it was about Thom Bell, and it'll be him getting the Non-Performer induction instead of this group getting in as Performer or Early Influence. But boy would I love to be wrong.

10. Cyndi Lauper My intuition is telling me she was just the painful last cut for too many voters.

11. Joy Division/New Order This group could easily make a fool of me too, but I think it will take just a couple more tries to get them in.

12. Soundgarden I just see them splitting the vote against Rage Against The Machine, but they've got the support of musicians and writers.

13. Rage Against The Machine I just see them splitting the vote against Soundgarden, but they've got the support of the insiders at the Foundation.

14. A Tribe Called Quest With Missy Elliott on the ballot, no chance.  


Voila.  My predictions.  As for the other categories, I think Thom Bell could be a Non-Performer, and either Kate Bush or Iron Maiden for Musical Excellence.  Not sure if they'll actually have an Early Influence inductee or not. I think with the lack of inductors for three inductees last year, they'll want a smaller class to keep things tight, especially for HBO.  But boy would I love to be wrong.  We'll find out in a couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment