Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Predicting 2024's ballot

 As we anticipate the announcement for the ballot for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame this year, I once again finding myself doing the last minute panic thing to get it posted in time.  But that's okay, because it forces me to be succinct.  Let's face it, the explanations matter less to most readers than the names in bold.  So, what are my picks?


First, I'll start with the newly eligible artists.  None.  Okay, but some thought Coldplay would be nominated once they presumably became eligible (until we learned of the adjustment), but I'm going to apply Occam's Razor to this one and say the Hall is showing their cards.  They could nominate Coldplay too, but they clearly want the White Stripes first.  So they make my list.  Among other nominees, I think A Tribe Called Quest will return, too.  The rationale is a little hard to explain, but Tribe is basically the first hip-hop repeat nominee that isn't a huge name or a foundational to hip-hop.  They're innovative, but they weren't as foundational as Grandmaster Flash And The Furious  Five or N.W.A. or as big as LL Cool J. So for them to be nominated twice already despite not being a bigger name tells me there's a burning desire around the hoagie for this group.  I also think Warren Zevon will return, just because he's been a long time coming, and if he needs a second nomination to get in, they won't give up right away.  And with Rage Against The Machine in, they may want to see if that truly does clear the lane for Soundgarden.

Using the past ceremony as a crystal ball, I imagine there will be a second hip-hop act on the ballot in the form of Outkast. Big Boi did a great job.  Sadly, I don't see Queen Latifah getting nominated or Salt-N-Pepa, simply because Tribe is a bigger priority for someone there.  I think the Dave Matthews Band will probably get another look as well, since Dave just did his best to be oh so charming and toe in the sand humble while inducting Willie Nelson.  I don't think he was insincere, mind you; I just don't like the idea of that attitude being the reason the Nominating Committee latches onto him again more than his music being the reason.  Now, some lamented there wasn't anything for the rock lovers, which I kinda disagree with.  There just wasn't any display of rock and roll as a form of male peacocking.  To which, I say, "So?"  But Sheryl Crow gave a really good performance that rocked, even if she had never brought out Peter Frampton to play with her.  But bringing him out was a big moment, and I think it'll serve as an impetus to get him in while he's with us.  

Conversely, I am kind of led to believe that there will be a moment of "Everyone loves you once you're gone" spirit that will probably see a nomination for Jimmy Buffett, an artist I have an aversion to mainly because of the fan base.  I do like some of his songs, and would probably like more if I did a deeper dive, but the extent to which "Margaritaville" (a song I like) has been transferred from an anthem about escapism to an anthem for the mindset of "any reason to get blasted is a good one"--which in turn is becoming escapism again because of the depressing economic realities younger generations are facing, there's no mindless partying anymore, it's escapism even when we call it partying and celebrating--is irksome.  It's become about the object rather than the reason.  Anyway, I see him being nominated.  

Looking elsewhere, just because I don't see every act returning to the ballot from last year, I think they'll go with Motorhead instead of Iron Maiden and give Cyndi Lauper a year off to go with Cher, just to poke the bear as it were and court controversy.  I'm guessing about sixteen nominees, and I just think it's a shame they snubbed Destiny's Child. I hope they rectify it.  For the older men in the room, let's throw in a possible nomination for Huey Lewis And The News, another name they may want to rush to honor while the lead man is still with us, but has had to give up touring.  Let's give another nod for Mary J. Blige and see if we can finally get Mariah Carey on the ballot too.  I'll even throw No Doubt on there too.

Lastly, for my left field pick, I'm going back to the removal of Jann S. Wenner altogether from the Foundation establishment, following his headlong rush to get canceled last year.  If there were any vindictive NomComm members who wanted to twist the knife, there is one act they could nominate to do that.  Even though there are no articulate women in this group, nor any articulate people of color, it would still bring a cheesy grin to those of us who know to see them nominated.  Reportedly on Wenner's "over my dead body" list, this would also be indicative of Sykes being at the helm because this was an act that really helped MTV in its first decade with programming, which then caused a resurgence in their popularity.  Naturally, I'm talking about the Monkees.  A left field pick to be sure, but think about it.

In closing, those are my sixteen names, and I'd also like to take this opportunity to commit a shameless plug.  Even though I didn't predict "Weird Al" Yankovic to be on the ballot, I did recently have the privilege to be a guest on the "My Weekly Mixtape" podcast, where the host, Brian Colburn, and I cast a vision of a twenty-song playlist that both symbolizes most if not all of the reasons why "Weird Al" should be in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, and also displays what I believe is unquestionable musical excellence across his entire career.  Please go check it out; it would mean a lot to me if you would. And if Brian's wife reads this: Ross and Rachel were on a break.  Yeah, I said it. Whatcha gonna do about it, huh?

2 comments: